For vada :
Channa dal -1 cup
Onion-1 medium(cut into very small cubes)
Oil- for deep frying
Onion- 1 big (cut into very small cubes)Tomato-1 medium (cut into very small cubes)
Ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Pepper jeera powder-1/2 tspGaram masala powder-1/4 tsp
Coconut milk- 1/2 cup
Salt- to taste
Coriander leaves-for garnishing
Curry leaves- to taste
1. Soak channa dal for 3 -4 hours and drain them.
2. Grind it to a coarse paste with red chilli and salt.
3. Add cut onion and saunf and mix well.
4. Deep fry them in hot oil putting small pinches of the dal mixture.
5. Fry till it is soft and don't make it crispy.
6. Remove from oil and leave it aside.
7. In a separate kadai,add oil and splutter items under for tempering.
8. Now add the ginger garlic paste and onion and saute till it is translucent.
9. Add tomato ,green chillies and saute well till the mixture becomes juicy.
10. Add all the powders to it and blend ,except pepper jeera powder.
11. When the oil starts oozing out,add little water and let it boil.
12. Now add the vadas and mash them slightly.
13. Let it boil and the masala will soak inside the vadas.
14. Just mix it nicely and let it become a thick gravy.
15. Add coconut milk ,pepper jeera powder and coriander leaves.
16. Vadacurry is ready to be served with chapathi,idli,dosa,idiyappam etc
1. You can use any left over dal vadas for th same recipe.
2. The vada batter can be steamed and used without deep frying in oil.
3. The vada batter can be tapped in dosa tawa like adai and cut into small pieces and added to the curry.
4. The above are the optional methods of using the vada batter for making vadacurry.