For Paruppu urundai:
Chana dal-1 cup
Toor dal-1/2 cup
Moong dal-1/4 cup
Onion(medium)-1/2(cut into very small cubes)
Salt- to taste
Onion(Big):1(cut into small cubes)Tomato:1(cut into small cubes)
Green chilli: 2
Chilli powder: 1tsp
Coriander powder:1 tsp
Turmeric powder:1/4 tsp
Garlic -4-5 pods
Ginger- 1/2 inch (cut into very small cubes)Coconut:1 Handful
Tamarind:2 lemon size (soak in hot water)Coriander leaves:to garnish
Saunf : 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Methi seeds-1/4 tsp
Curry leaves- 1 stick
1. Soak the dals for 2 hours.
2. Drain the water and grind it to a coarse paste adding red chillies and salt.
3. To this,add onion and mix well.
4. Make medium size balls and steam cook for 5 mins and set aside.
5. In a kadai, add oil and add all items under tempering and let it splutter.
6. Add onion and green chillies and saute well.
7.To this add tomato and blend.
8. Add all the powders listed and add salt.
9. Leave it for sometime until oil oozes out and till it becomes a nice paste.
10. Add water and tamarind paste and let it boil.
11. Grind coconut to a fine paste and add it to the gravy with little water.
12. Add the steamed dal balls to the curry and let it boil in simmer flame for 5-10 mins.
13. Sprinkle some coriander leaves and switch off the stove.
14. Serve this kulambu with hot rice,idli,dosa etc..